I’m not sure the last time it was painted, but it is obvious that it has been a long time. This became very apparent when a young couple on bikes stopped by the house to ask if it was for sale (thinking it was foreclosed). Not too mention, the two random painters who knocked on our door to ask if they could paint it for us.
The big question is, Do we paint it ourselves?
The original answer was yes. Then, we requested an estimate from a few professional painters. We hired one. We fired one. And, we’re back to painting it ourselves, again.
Our final compromise is asking a friend of a friend (professional painter) to help with the difficult painting for a nominal fee. The result is spending our Christmas break painting the house.
Today will be day #6 in the last 7 days. Here’s the major costs I’ve learned so far:
- Price of Paint. Good paint is not cheap, and it has taken nearly 20 gallons.
- Time. We’ve put in at least 8 hours a day.
- Sore muscles. Working out doesn’t prepare your body for muscles needed to roll or brush paint.
- Rest. Days normally designated for relaxation are replaced with work.
- Money. Depending on the painter, we saved between $2-4,000 doing it ourselves.
Luckily, my dad gave up his break to suffer the costs with me. I’m blessed with a selfless, hardworking, loving dad.
Thank you, Dad!
What have you done with your Christmas break?